Software as a Service Agreement
By clicking on the “Agree” button or other form of acknowledgement, you (the “Customer”) hereby agree to the terms and conditions of this Software as a Service (SaaS) Agreement (the "Agreement") on the date hereof (the "Effective Date"), by and between the Customer and Driver Schedule LLC, a Connecticut limited liability company ("Provider").
- Definitions. Capitalized Terms not otherwise defined herein shall have the meaning set forth in this Section 1.
"Access Credentials" means any user name, identification number, password, license or security key, security token, PIN or other security code, method, technology or device used, alone or in combination, to verify an individual's identity and authorization to access and use the Hosted Services.
"Customer Data" means, other than Resultant Data, information, data and other content, in any form or medium, which is collected, downloaded or otherwise received, directly or indirectly from Customer by or through the Services.
"Documentation" means any manuals, instructions or other documents or materials that the Provider provides or makes available to Customer in any form or medium and which describe the functionality, components, features or requirements of the Services or Provider Materials, including any aspect of the installation, configuration, integration, operation, use, support or maintenance thereof.
"Harmful Code" means any software, hardware or other technology, device or means, including any virus, worm, malware or other malicious computer code, the purpose or effect of which is to (a) permit unauthorized access to, or to destroy, disrupt, disable, distort, or otherwise harm or impede in any manner any (i) computer, software, firmware, hardware, system or network or (ii) any application or function of any of the foregoing or the security, integrity, confidentiality or use of any data Processed thereby, or (b) prevent Customer from accessing or using the Services or Provider Systems as intended by this Agreement. Harmful Code does not include any Provider Disabling Device.
"Intellectual Property Rights" means any and all registered and unregistered rights granted, applied for or otherwise now or hereafter in existence under or related to any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, database protection or other intellectual property rights laws, and all similar or equivalent rights or forms of protection, in any part of the world.
"Law" means any statute, law, ordinance, regulation, rule, code, order, constitution, treaty, common law, judgment, decree or other requirement of any federal, state, local or foreign government or political subdivision thereof, or any arbitrator, court or tribunal of competent jurisdiction.
"Order Form" means an order form filled out and submitted by or on behalf of Customer, and accepted by Provider, for Customer’s use of the Services granted under this Agreement.
"Permitted Use" means any use of the Services by Customer solely in or for Customer's business operations.
"Person" means an individual, corporation, partnership, joint venture, limited liability entity, governmental authority, unincorporated organization, trust, association or other entity.
"Process" means to take any action or perform any operation or set of operations that the SaaS Services are capable of taking or performing on any data, information or other content, including to collect, receive, input, upload, download, record, reproduce, store, organize, compile, combine, log, catalog, cross-reference, manage, maintain, copy, adapt, alter, translate or make other derivative works or improvements, process, retrieve, output, consult, use, perform, display, disseminate, transmit, submit, post, transfer, disclose or otherwise provide or make available, or block, erase or destroy. "Processing" and "Processed" have correlative meanings.
"Provider Disabling Device" means any software, hardware or other technology, device or means (including any back door, time bomb, time out, drop dead device, software routine or other disabling device) used by Provider or its designee to disable Customer's access to or use of the Services automatically with the passage of time or under the positive control of Provider or its designee.
"Provider Materials" means the Service Software, Specifications, Documentation and Provider Systems and any and all other information, data, documents, materials, works and other content, devices, methods, processes, hardware, software and other technologies and inventions, including any deliverables, technical or functional descriptions, requirements, plans or reports, that are provided or used by Provider or any Subcontractor in connection with the Services or otherwise comprise or relate to the Services or Provider Systems. For the avoidance of doubt, Provider Materials include Resultant Data and any information, data or other content derived from Provider's monitoring of Customer's access to or use of the Services, but do not include Customer Data.
"Provider Personnel" means all individuals involved in the performance of Services as employees, agents or independent contractors of Provider or any Subcontractor.
"Provider Systems" means the information technology infrastructure used by or on behalf of Provider in performing the Services, including all computers, software, hardware, databases, electronic systems (including database management systems) and networks, whether operated directly by Provider or through the use of third-party services.
"Representatives" means, with respect to a party, that party's employees, officers, directors, managers, consultants, agents, independent contractors, service providers, sublicensees, subcontractors and legal advisors.
"Resultant Data" means information, data and other content that is derived by or through the Services from Processing Customer Data and is sufficiently different from such Customer Data that such Customer Data cannot be reverse engineered or otherwise identified from the inspection, analysis or further Processing of such information, data or content.
"Service Software" means the Provider software application or applications and any third-party or other software, and all new versions, updates, revisions, improvements and modifications of the foregoing, that Provider provides remote access to and use of as part of the Services.
"Specifications" means the specifications for the Services set forth in the Documentation.
"Territory" means worldwide.
"Third Party Materials" means materials and information, in any form or medium, including any open-source or other software, documents, data, content, specifications, products, equipment or components of or relating to the Services that are not proprietary to Provider.
- Services. Subject to and conditioned on Customer's compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, during the Term, Provider shall use commercially reasonable efforts to provide to Customer driver scheduling services as further described in the Documentation and this Agreement (collectively, the "Services") in accordance with the Specifications and terms and conditions hereof, including to host, manage, operate and maintain the Service Software for remote electronic access and use by Customer ("Hosted Services") in substantial conformity with the Specifications 24 hours per day, seven days per week every day of the year, except for:
- scheduled downtime;
- Service downtime or degradation due to a Force Majeure Event;
- any other circumstances beyond Provider's reasonable control, including Customer's use of Third Party Materials, misuse of the Hosted Services, or use of the Services other than in compliance with the express terms of this Agreement and the Specifications; and
- any suspension or termination of Customer's access to or use of the Hosted Services as permitted by this Agreement.
- Service and System Control. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this Agreement, as between the parties:
- Provider has and will retain sole control over the operation, provision, maintenance and management of the Services and Provider Materials, including the: (i) Provider Systems; (ii) location(s) where any of the Services are performed; (iii) selection, deployment, modification and replacement of the Service Software; and (iv) performance of Support Services and Service maintenance, upgrades, corrections and repairs; and
- Customer has and will retain sole control over the operation, maintenance and management of, and all access to and use of, the Customer Systems, and sole responsibility for all access to and use of the Services and Provider Materials by any Person by or through the Customer Systems or any other means controlled by Customer, including any: (i) information, instructions or materials provided by Customer to the Services or Provider; (ii) results obtained from any use of the Services or Provider Materials; and (iii) conclusions, decisions or actions based on such use.
- Changes. Provider reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to make any changes to the Services and Provider Materials that it deems necessary or useful to: (a) maintain or enhance (i) the quality or delivery of Provider's services to its customers, (ii) the competitive strength of or market for Provider's services or (iii) the Services' cost efficiency or performance; or (b) to comply with applicable Law.
- Subcontractors. Provider may from time to time in its discretion engage third parties to perform Services (each, a "Subcontractor").
- Suspension or Termination of Services. Provider may, directly or indirectly, and by use of a Provider Disabling Device or any other lawful means, suspend, terminate or otherwise deny Customer's or any other Person's access to or use of all or any part of the Services or Provider Materials, without incurring any resulting obligation or liability, if: (a) Provider receives a judicial or other governmental demand or order, subpoena or law enforcement request that expressly or by reasonable implication requires Provider to do so; or (b) Provider believes, in its good faith and reasonable discretion, that: (i) Customer has failed to comply with, any material term of this Agreement, or accessed or used the Services beyond the scope of the rights granted or for a purpose not authorized under this Agreement or in any manner that does not comply with any material instruction or requirement of the Specifications; (ii) Customer is or has been involved in any fraudulent, misleading or unlawful activities relating to or in connection with any of the Services; or (iii) this Agreement expires or is terminated. This Section 5 does not limit any of Provider's other rights or remedies, whether at law, in equity or under this Agreement.
- Authorization and Customer Restrictions.
- Authorization. Subject to and conditioned on Customer's payment of the Fees and compliance and performance in accordance with all other terms and conditions of this Agreement, Provider hereby authorizes Customer to access and use, solely in the Territory and during the Term, the Services and such Provider Materials as Provider may supply or make available to Customer solely for the Permitted Use in accordance with the Specifications, and the conditions and limitations set forth in this Agreement. This authorization is non-exclusive and other than as may be expressly set forth in Section 8, non-transferable.
- Reservation of Rights. Nothing in this Agreement grants any right, title or interest in or to (including any license under) any Intellectual Property Rights in or relating to, the Services, Provider Materials or Third Party Materials, whether expressly, by implication, estoppel or otherwise. All right, title and interest in and to the Services, the Provider Materials and the Third Party Materials are and will remain with Provider and the respective rights holders in the Third Party Materials.
- Authorization Limitations and Restrictions. Customer shall not, and shall not permit any other Person to, access or use the Services or Provider Materials except as expressly permitted by this Agreement and, in the case of Third-Party Materials, the applicable third-party license agreement. For purposes of clarity and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Customer shall not, except as this Agreement expressly permits:
- copy, modify or create derivative works or improvements of the Services or Provider Materials;
- rent, lease, lend, sell, sublicense, assign, distribute, publish, transfer or otherwise make available any Services or Provider Materials to any Person, including on or in connection with the internet or any time-sharing, service bureau, software as a service, cloud or other technology or service;
- reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, decode, adapt or otherwise attempt to derive or gain access to the source code of the Services or Provider Materials, in whole or in part;
- bypass or breach any security device or protection used by the Services or Provider Materials;
- input, upload, transmit or otherwise provide to or through the Services or Provider Systems, any information or materials that are unlawful or injurious, or contain, transmit or activate any Harmful Code;
- damage, destroy, disrupt, disable, impair, interfere with or otherwise impede or harm in any manner the Services, Provider Systems or Provider's provision of services to any third party, in whole or in part;
- remove, delete, alter or obscure any trademarks, Specifications, Documentation, warranties or disclaimers, or any copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property or proprietary rights notices from any Services or Provider Materials, including any copy thereof;
- access or use the Services or Provider Materials in any manner or for any purpose that infringes, misappropriates or otherwise violates any Intellectual Property Right or other right of any third party (including by any unauthorized access to, misappropriation, use, alteration, destruction or disclosure of the data of any other Provider customer), or that violates any applicable Law;
- access or use the Services or Provider Materials for purposes of competitive analysis of the Services or Provider Materials, the development, provision or use of a competing software service or product or any other purpose that is to the Provider's detriment or commercial disadvantage;
- otherwise access or use the Services or Provider Materials beyond the scope of the authorization granted under Section 1.
- Service Use and Data Storage. Customer has received, in an Order Form or a fee schedule from Provider, a schedule of fees (the “Fees”) for designated levels of Hosted Service usage and data storage, beginning with the Fees payable by Customer for the levels of Hosted Service usage and data storage in effect as of the Effective Date.
- Customer Obligations.
- Effect of Customer Failure or Delay. Provider is not responsible or liable for any delay or failure of performance caused in whole or in part by Customer's delay in performing, or failure to perform, any of its obligations under this Agreement (each, a "Customer Failure").
- Corrective Action and Notice. If Customer becomes aware of any actual or threatened activity prohibited by Section 3, Customer shall immediately: (a) take all reasonable and lawful measures within their respective control that are necessary to stop the activity or threatened activity and to mitigate its effects (including, where applicable, by discontinuing and preventing any unauthorized access to the Services and Provider Materials and permanently erasing from their systems and destroying any data to which any of them have gained unauthorized access); and (b) notify Provider of any such actual or threatened activity.
- Provider Systems and Security Obligations. Provider will employ security measures in accordance with applicable industry practice.
- Customer Control and Responsibility. Customer has and will retain sole responsibility for: (a) all Customer Data, including its content and use; (b) all information, instructions and materials provided by or on behalf of Customer in connection with the Services; (c) Customer's information technology infrastructure, including computers, software, databases, electronic systems (including database management systems) and networks, whether operated directly by Customer or through the use of third-party services ("Customer Systems"); (d) the security and use of Customer's Access Credentials; and (e) all access to and use of the Services and Provider Materials directly or indirectly by or through the Customer Systems, with or without Customer’s knowledge or consent, including all results obtained from, and all conclusions, decisions and actions based on, such access or use.
- Access and Security. Customer shall employ all physical, administrative and technical controls, screening and security procedures and other safeguards necessary to: (a) securely administer the distribution and use of all Access Credentials and protect against any unauthorized access to or use of the Hosted Services; and (b) control the content and use of Customer Data, including the uploading or other provision of Customer Data for Processing by the Hosted Services.
- Fees; Payment Terms.
- Fees. Customer shall pay Provider the Fees in accordance with this Section 6.
- Fee Increases. Provider may increase Fees from time to time by providing written notice to Customer at least 60 days prior to the commencement of such new Fees, and Schedule A will be deemed amended accordingly.
- Taxes. All Fees and other amounts payable by Customer under this Agreement are exclusive of taxes and similar assessments. Customer is responsible for all sales, use and excise taxes, and any other similar taxes, duties and charges of any kind imposed by any federal, state or local governmental or regulatory authority on any amounts payable by Customer hereunder, other than any taxes imposed on Provider's income.
- Payment. Customer shall pay all Fees within 30 days after the date of the invoice therefor, except as may be otherwise set forth in an Order Form. Customer shall make payments to the address or account specified by the Provider in writing from time to time.
- Late Payment. If Customer fails to make any payment when due then, in addition to all other remedies that may be available, if such failure continues for 30 days following written notice thereof, Provider may suspend performance of the Services until all past due amounts and interest thereon have been paid, without incurring any obligation or liability to Customer or any other Person by reason of such suspension.
- No Deductions or Setoffs. All amounts payable to Provider under this Agreement shall be paid by Customer to Provider in full without any setoff, recoupment, counterclaim, deduction, debit or withholding for any reason (other than any deduction or withholding of tax as may be required by applicable Law).
- Intellectual Property Rights.
- Services and Provider Materials. All right, title and interest in and to the Services and Provider Materials, including all Intellectual Property Rights therein, are and will remain with Provider and the respective rights holders in the Third-Party Materials. Customer has no right, license or authorization with respect to any of the Services or Provider Materials (including Third-Party Materials) except as expressly set forth in Section 1 or the applicable third-party license, in each case subject to Section 3.3. All other rights in and to the Services and Provider Materials (including Third-Party Materials) are expressly reserved by Provider and the respective third-party licensors.
- Customer Data. As between Customer and Provider, Customer is and will remain the sole and exclusive owner of all right, title and interest in and to all Customer Data, including all Intellectual Property Rights relating thereto, subject to the rights and permissions granted in Section 3.
- Consent to Use Customer Data. Customer hereby irrevocably grants all such rights and permissions in or relating to Customer Data: (a) to Provider, its Subcontractors and the Provider Personnel as are necessary or useful to perform the Services; and (b) to Provider as are necessary or useful to enforce this Agreement and exercise its rights and perform its hereunder.
- Confidential Information. In connection with this Agreement each party (as the "Disclosing Party") may disclose or make available Confidential Information to the other party (as the "Receiving Party"). Subject to Section 2, "Confidential Information" means information in any form or medium (whether oral, written, electronic or other) that the Disclosing Party considers confidential or proprietary, including information consisting of or relating to the Disclosing Party’s technology, trade secrets, know-how, business operations, plans, strategies, customers, and pricing, and information with respect to which the Disclosing Party has contractual or other confidentiality obligations, in each case whether or not marked, designated or otherwise identified as "confidential". Without limiting the foregoing: all Provider Materials are the Confidential Information of Provider and the terms of this Agreement are the Confidential Information of each of the parties.
- Exclusions. Confidential Information does not include information that: (a) was rightfully known to the Receiving Party without restriction on use or disclosure prior to such information's being disclosed or made available to the Receiving Party in connection with this Agreement; (b) was or becomes generally known by the public other than by the Receiving Party's or any of its Representatives' noncompliance with this Agreement; (c) was or is received by the Receiving Party on a non-confidential basis from a third party that, to the Receiving Party's knowledge, was not or is not, at the time of such receipt, under any obligation to maintain its confidentiality; or (d) the Receiving Party can demonstrate by written or other documentary records was or is independently developed by the Receiving Party without reference to or use of any Confidential Information.
- Protection of Confidential Information. As a condition to being provided with any disclosure of or access to Confidential Information, the Receiving Party shall:
- not access or use Confidential Information other than as necessary to exercise its rights or perform its obligations under and in accordance with this Agreement;
- except as may be permitted by and subject to its compliance with Section 4, not disclose or permit access to Confidential Information other than to its Representatives who: (i) need to know such Confidential Information for purposes of the Receiving Party's exercise of its rights or performance of its obligations under and in accordance with this Agreement; (ii) have been informed of the confidential nature of the Confidential Information and the Receiving Party's obligations under this Section 8.3; and (iii) are bound by written confidentiality and restricted use obligations at least as protective of the Confidential Information as the terms set forth in this Section 8.3;
- safeguard the Confidential Information from unauthorized use, access or disclosure using at least the degree of care it uses to protect its similarly sensitive information and in no event less than a reasonable degree of care; and
- ensure its Representatives' compliance with, and be responsible and liable for any of its Representatives' non-compliance with, the terms of this Section 8.
- Compelled Disclosures. If the Receiving Party or any of its Representatives is compelled by applicable Law to disclose any Confidential Information then, to the extent permitted by applicable Law, the Receiving Party shall: (a) promptly, and prior to such disclosure, notify the Disclosing Party in writing of such requirement so that the Disclosing Party can seek a protective order or other remedy or waive its rights under Section 3; and (b) provide reasonable assistance to the Disclosing Party, at the Disclosing Party's sole cost and expense, in opposing such disclosure or seeking a protective order or other limitations on disclosure. If the Disclosing Party waives compliance or, after providing the notice and assistance required under this Section 8.4, the Receiving Party remains required by Law to disclose any Confidential Information, the Receiving Party shall disclose only that portion of the Confidential Information that the Receiving Party is legally required to disclose and, on the Disclosing Party's request, shall use commercially reasonable efforts to obtain assurances from the applicable court or other presiding authority that such Confidential Information will be afforded confidential treatment.
- Term and Termination .
- Initial Term. The term of this Agreement commences as of the Effective Date and continues until terminated as set forth herein (the "Term").
- Termination. In addition to any other express termination right set forth elsewhere in this Agreement, either party may terminate this Agreement immediately, at any time, effective upon delivery of written notice in accordance with Section 14.4.
- Effect of Termination. Upon any termination of this Agreement, except as expressly otherwise provided in this Agreement:
- all rights, licenses, consents and authorizations granted by either party to the other hereunder will immediately terminate;
- Provider shall immediately cease all use of any Customer Data or Customer's Confidential Information and (i) within 15 days return to Customer, or at Customer's written request destroy, all documents and tangible materials containing, reflecting, incorporating or based on Customer Data or Customer's Confidential Information; and (ii) permanently erase all Customer Data and Customer's Confidential Information from all systems Provider directly or indirectly controls, provided that, for clarity, Provider's obligations under this Section 3(b) do not apply to any Resultant Data;
- Customer shall immediately cease all use of any Services or Provider Materials and (i) within 15 days return to Provider, or at Provider's written request destroy, all documents and tangible materials containing, reflecting, incorporating or based on Provider's Confidential Information; and (ii) permanently erase Provider's Confidential Information from all systems Customer directly or indirectly controls;
- notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, with respect to information and materials then in its possession or control: (i) the Receiving Party may retain the Disclosing Party's Confidential Information; (ii) Customer may retain Provider Materials, in the case of each of subclause (i) and (ii), in its then current state and solely to the extent and for so long as required by applicable Law; (iii) Provider may also retain Customer Data in its backups, archives and disaster recovery systems until such Customer Data is deleted in the ordinary course; and (iv) all information and materials described in this Section 3(d) will remain subject to all confidentiality, security and other applicable requirements of this Agreement;
- Provider may disable all Customer access to the Hosted Services and Provider Materials.
- Surviving Terms. The provisions set forth in the following sections, and any other right or obligation of the parties in this Agreement that, by its nature, should survive termination or expiration of this Agreement, will survive any expiration or termination of this Agreement: Section 3, Section 8, Section 9.4, this Section 9.5, Section 10, Section 11, Section 12 and Section 14.
- Representations and Warranties.
- Mutual Representations and Warranties. Each party represents and warrants to the other party that:
- it is duly organized, validly existing and in good standing as a corporation or other entity under the Laws of the jurisdiction of its incorporation or other organization;
- it has the full right, power and authority to enter into and perform its obligations and grant the rights, licenses, consents and authorizations it grants or is required to grant under this Agreement;
- the execution of this Agreement by its representative whose signature is set forth at the end of this Agreement has been duly authorized by all necessary corporate or organizational action of such party; and
- when executed and delivered by both parties, this Agreement will constitute the legal, valid and binding obligation of such party, enforceable against such party in accordance with its terms.
- Additional Provider Representations, Warranties and Covenants. Provider represents, warrants and covenants to Customer that Provider will perform the Services using personnel of required skill, experience and qualifications and in a professional and workmanlike manner in accordance with generally recognized industry standards for similar services and will devote adequate resources to meet its obligations under this Agreement.
- Additional Customer Representations, Warranties and Covenants. Customer represents, warrants and covenants to Provider that Customer owns or otherwise has and will have the necessary rights and consents in and relating to the Customer Data so that, as received by Provider and Processed in accordance with this Agreement, they do not and will not infringe, misappropriate or otherwise violate any Intellectual Property Rights, or any privacy or other rights of any third party or violate any applicable Law.
- DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. EXCEPT FOR THE EXPRESS WARRANTIES SET FORTH IN SECTION 10.1, SECTION 10.2 AND SECTION 10.3, ALL SERVICES AND PROVIDER MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND PROVIDER HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHER, AND PROVIDER SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ALL WARRANTIES ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, PROVIDER MAKES NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND THAT THE SERVICES OR PROVIDER MATERIALS, OR ANY PRODUCTS OR RESULTS OF THE USE THEREOF, WILL MEET CUSTOMER'S OR ANY OTHER PERSON'S REQUIREMENTS, OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION, ACHIEVE ANY INTENDED RESULT, BE COMPATIBLE OR WORK WITH ANY SOFTWARE, SYSTEM OR OTHER SERVICES, OR BE SECURE, ACCURATE, COMPLETE, FREE OF HARMFUL CODE OR ERROR FREE. ALL THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF OR CONCERNING ANY THIRD PARTY MATERIALS IS STRICTLY BETWEEN CUSTOMER AND THE THIRD-PARTY OWNER OR DISTRIBUTOR OF THE THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS.
- Mitigation. If any of the Services or Provider Materials are, or in Provider's opinion are likely to be, claimed to infringe, misappropriate or otherwise violate any third-party Intellectual Property Right, or if Customer's use of the Services or Provider Materials is enjoined or threatened to be enjoined, Provider may, at its option and sole cost and expense:
- obtain the right for Customer to continue to use the Services and Provider Materials materially as contemplated by this Agreement;
- modify or replace the Services and Provider Materials, in whole or in part, to seek to make the Services and Provider Materials (as so modified or replaced) non-infringing, while providing materially equivalent features and functionality, in which case such modifications or replacements will constitute Services and Provider Materials, as applicable, under this Agreement; or
- by written notice to Customer, terminate this Agreement and require Customer to immediately cease any use of the Services and Provider Materials. Upon any such termination, subject to Customer's compliance with its post-termination obligations set forth in Section 4, Customer will be entitled to a refund as if Customer has terminated this Agreement pursuant to Section 9.3(b).
THIS SECTION 11 SETS FORTH CUSTOMER'S SOLE REMEDIES AND PROVIDER'S SOLE LIABILITY AND OBLIGATION FOR ANY ACTUAL, THREATENED OR ALLEGED CLAIMS THAT THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY SUBJECT MATTER HEREOF (INCLUDING THE SERVICES AND PROVIDER MATERIALS) INFRINGES, MISAPPROPRIATES OR OTHERWISE VIOLATES ANY THIRD PARTY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT.
- Limitations of Liability.
- EXCLUSION OF DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL PROVIDER OR ANY OF ITS LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT OR ITS SUBJECT MATTER UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY AND OTHERWISE, FOR ANY: (a) LOSS OF PRODUCTION, USE, BUSINESS, REVENUE OR PROFIT OR DIMINUTION IN VALUE; (b) IMPAIRMENT, INABILITY TO USE OR LOSS, INTERRUPTION OR DELAY OF THE SERVICES, (c) LOSS, DAMAGE, CORRUPTION OR RECOVERY OF DATA, OR BREACH OF DATA OR SYSTEM SECURITY, OR (d) CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, ENHANCED OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH PERSONS WERE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES OR SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES WERE OTHERWISE FORESEEABLE, AND NOTWITHSTANDING THE FAILURE OF ANY AGREED OR OTHER REMEDY OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
- CAP ON MONETARY LIABILITY. EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED IN SECTION 12.3, IN NO EVENT WILL THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF PROVIDER AND ITS LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS AND SUPPLIERS UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT OR ITS SUBJECT MATTER, UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY AND OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE SUM OF ALL AMOUNTS PAID TO PROVIDER BY CUSTOMER HEREUNDER FOR THE SIX (6) MONTH PERIOD IMMEDIATELY PRIOR TO ANY CLAIM OF LIABILITY. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION APPLIES NOTWITHSTANDING THE FAILURE OF ANY AGREED OR OTHER REMEDY OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
- Exceptions. The exclusions and limitations in Section 1 and Section 12.2 do not apply to liability for Provider's gross negligence or willful misconduct.
- Force Majeure.
- No Breach or Default. In no event will Provider be liable or responsible to Customer, or be deemed to have defaulted under or breached this Agreement, for any failure or delay in fulfilling or performing any term of this Agreement when and to the extent such failure or delay is caused by any circumstances beyond Provider's reasonable control (a "Force Majeure Event"), including acts of God, flood, fire, earthquake or explosion, war, terrorism, invasion, riot or other civil unrest, embargoes or blockades in effect on or after the date of this Agreement, national or regional emergency, strikes, labor stoppages or slowdowns or other industrial disturbances, passage of Law or any action taken by a governmental or public authority, including imposing an embargo, export or import restriction, quota or other restriction or prohibition or any complete or partial government shutdown, or national or regional shortage of adequate power or telecommunications or transportation. Either party may terminate this Agreement if a Force Majeure Event continues substantially uninterrupted for a period of 30 days or more.
- Affected Party Obligations. In the event of any failure or delay caused by a Force Majeure Event, Provider shall give prompt written notice to Customer stating the period of time the occurrence is expected to continue and use commercially reasonable efforts to end the failure or delay and minimize the effects of such Force Majeure Event.
- Further Assurances. Upon a party's reasonable request, the other party shall, at the requesting party's sole cost and expense, execute and deliver all such documents and instruments, and take all such further actions, necessary to give full effect to this Agreement.
- Relationship of the Parties. The relationship between the parties is that of independent contractors. Nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed as creating any agency, partnership, joint venture or other form of joint enterprise, employment or fiduciary relationship between the parties, and neither party shall have authority to contract for or bind the other party in any manner whatsoever.
- Public Announcements. Neither party shall issue or release any announcement, statement, press release or other publicity or marketing materials relating to this Agreement or otherwise use the other party's trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, domain names or other indicia of source, affiliation or sponsorship, in each case, without the prior written consent of the other party, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld, conditioned or delayed, provided, however, that Provider may, without Customer's consent, include Customer's name in its lists of Provider's current or former customers of Provider in promotional and marketing materials.
- Notices. All notices, requests, consents, claims, demands, waivers, and other communications hereunder shall be in writing and shall be deemed to have been given: (i) when delivered by hand (with written confirmation of receipt); (ii) when received by the addressee if sent by a nationally recognized overnight courier (receipt requested); (iii) on the date sent by facsimile (with confirmation of transmission) if sent during normal business hours of the recipient, and on the next business day if sent after normal business hours of the recipient; or (iv) on the third day after the date mailed, by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid. Such communications must be sent to the respective parties at the addresses set forth on an Order Form (or to such other address as may be designated by a party from time to time in accordance with this Section 14.4b).
- Interpretation. For purposes of this Agreement: (a) the words "include," "includes" and "including" are deemed to be followed by the words "without limitation"; (b) the word "or" is not exclusive; (c) the words "herein," "hereof," "hereby," "hereto" and "hereunder" refer to this Agreement as a whole; (d) words denoting the singular have a comparable meaning when used in the plural, and vice-versa; and (e) words denoting any gender include all genders. Unless the context otherwise requires, references in this Agreement: (x) to sections, exhibits, schedules, attachments and appendices mean the sections of, and exhibits, schedules, attachments and appendices attached to, this Agreement; (y) to an agreement, instrument or other document means such agreement, instrument or other document as amended, supplemented and modified from time to time to the extent permitted by the provisions thereof; and (z) to a statute means such statute as amended from time to time and includes any successor legislation thereto and any regulations promulgated thereunder. The parties intend this Agreement to be construed without regard to any presumption or rule requiring construction or interpretation against the party drafting an instrument or causing any instrument to be drafted. The exhibits, schedules, attachments and appendices referred to herein are an integral part of this Agreement to the same extent as if they were set forth verbatim herein.
- Headings. The headings in this Agreement are for reference only and do not affect the interpretation of this Agreement.
- Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the sole and entire agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous understandings, agreements, representations and warranties, both written and oral, with respect to such subject matter.
- Assignment. Customer shall not assign or otherwise transfer any of its rights, or delegate or otherwise transfer any of its obligations or performance, under this Agreement, in each case whether voluntarily, involuntarily, by operation of law or otherwise, without Provider's prior written consent, which consent Provider shall not unreasonably withhold or delay. For purposes of the preceding sentence, and without limiting its generality, any merger, consolidation or reorganization involving Customer (regardless of whether Customer is a surviving or disappearing entity) will be deemed to be a transfer of rights, obligations or performance under this Agreement for which Provider's prior written consent is required. No delegation or other transfer will relieve Customer of any of its obligations or performance under this Agreement. Any purported assignment, delegation or transfer in violation of this Section 8 is void. This Agreement is binding upon and inures to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective permitted successors and assigns.
- No Third-party Beneficiaries. This Agreement is for the sole benefit of the parties hereto and their respective successors and permitted assigns and nothing herein, express or implied, is intended to or shall confer upon any other Person any legal or equitable right, benefit or remedy of any nature whatsoever under or by reason of this Agreement.
- Amendment and Modification; Waiver. No amendment to or modification of or rescission, termination or discharge of this Agreement is effective unless it is in writing and signed by each party. No waiver by any party of any of the provisions hereof shall be effective unless explicitly set forth in writing and signed by the party so waiving. Except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement, no failure to exercise, or delay in exercising, any rights, remedy, power or privilege arising from this Agreement shall operate or be construed as a waiver thereof; nor shall any single or partial exercise of any right, remedy, power or privilege hereunder preclude any other or further exercise thereof or the exercise of any other right, remedy, power or privilege.
- Severability. If any provision of this Agreement is invalid, illegal or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, such invalidity, illegality or unenforceability shall not affect any other term or provision of this Agreement or invalidate or render unenforceable such term or provision in any other jurisdiction. Upon such determination that any term or other provision is invalid, illegal or unenforceable, the parties hereto shall negotiate in good faith to modify this Agreement so as to effect the original intent of the parties as closely as possible in a mutually acceptable manner in order that the transactions contemplated hereby be consummated as originally contemplated to the greatest extent possible.
- Governing Law; Submission to Jurisdiction. This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Connecticut without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule that would require or permit the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than those of the State of Connecticut. Any legal suit, action or proceeding arising out of or related to this Agreement or the licenses granted hereunder shall be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of Connecticut in each case located in the city of Hartford, and county of Hartford, and each party irrevocably submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts in any such suit, action or proceeding. Service of process, summons, notice or other document by mail to such party's address set forth herein shall be effective service of process for any suit, action or other proceeding brought in any such court.
- Waiver of Jury Trial. Each party irrevocably and unconditionally waives any right it may have to a trial by jury in respect of any legal action arising out of or relating to this Agreement or the transactions contemplated hereby.
[End of Agreement]